- Food waste in the second largest waste stream in the US (after paper).
- From farm to your table, 40% of the food supply is wasted.
- Wasting 40% of the food supply increases the need for more production of crops using more energy, fuel and man hours.
- Food waste in landfills creates methane gas, which is 21 times more damaging than CO2.
- With 6% of the world’s population, the US produces over 50% of the world’s waste.
- The EPA reports that in the last 50 years, humans have consumed more resources that in all previous history.
- As much as 65% of waste thrown in the garbage could be used as compost.
- Some food waste will not decompose in a landfill because it is too tightly compacted. People have dug up landfill areas 10 years later and found banana peels not even partially decomposed.
- When it comes to composting and recycling, the US is ranked last with only 24% of our waste being composted or recycled.
Facts studio2108 2014-05-28T19:04:42+00:00